Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Inspiration...it's a powerful thing

While this post doesn't entirely connect to my flipped classroom, it is about a topic that is very near and dear to my heart, and since I write about what I'm experiencing in the classroom, I think it's fair game (it does tie in later, I promise).

A few weeks ago my sister called me and told me that she had been nominated as one of the top 10 females in the greater Lansing area.  The link to the article can be found here.  The women who are nominated for this honor are nominated because they excel in a field dominated by men.  My sister does just that, as the only female project manager/civil engineer for a large construction company in Lansing.  This Thursday I had the honor of attending the awards ceremony and listening to the women speak openly about working in such a male dominated field.  Okay, so this part doesn't relate to me so much, as I am actually in a highly female dominated field.  What does connect to me is that my sister, who inspires me in so many ways, told the committee that I inspire her.  This is the very tail end of her nomination...in case you can't tell, I'm quite proud of her.




"What in the world does this have to do with your classroom?" you might be asking.  Well, it all comes down to inspiration, which is one of the reasons I wanted to become teacher in the first place.  When I told my students where I was going on Thursday (they wondered why I was dressed so fancy), and why, they were genuinely excited for my sister.  Then one student then raises his hand and says, "I'm confused, why aren't you nominated? You inspire us everyday."  I know, right?!?  And if you know this kid, he was totally genuine, not just trying to suck up :)

I've been thinking a lot about this year, and how different the tone has been, and I can't help but attribute it, in part, to my flipped class.  My students love being a part of something innovative and new, and they ask me, often, how many people are reading the blog.  I got to tell them this week that a principal from Nebraska contacted my principal inquiring about our class...Whoa, that totally floored them!

When I started my flipped classroom it was because I wanted a chance to better know my students abilities, and it has snowballed into so much more.  It has helped me inspire those kids, and in turn they are inspiring each other...inspiration, it's a powerful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment