Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Math Centers

Around this time of year, I always start to evaluate what I'm doing in my class, and how I could improve upon it.  If I'm being honest, I do that all year long, but it seems like it all comes to a head sometime around Spring Break.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to do my flipped classroom via centers, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how to make it actually work in my room.  Luckily, I attended an awesome technology conference last week called MACUL.  One of the sessions I went to was on running a math workshop.  For the life of me I can't remember who the presenters were, but I do know they were from Spring Lake, MI.  There was a lot of good information shared, but my lightbulb moment came when they shared their acronym for their math workshop...

Math fact fluency
At your seat work
Teacher
Hands on manipulatives

I really liked the acronym, but I wanted to change it a little to fit my style more.  I kept the math acronym, but changed some of the descriptions.

Meet with the teacher
At your seat work
Technology based math
Hands on manipulatives

I'm planning each rotation to be about 20 minutes long, and I'm really excited about the potential for me to connect with students even more than normal :)  I'll update after I've done this with my kiddos and let everyone know how it went!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see how it goes, I need to revitalize my workshop in some of the ways you listed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like what I've been trying to accomplish in my class this year! Love the acronym. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete